Mixing & Mastering Music Course in LA
Can’t get your mixes to sound professional? Know the basics but can’t quite master the art? If your mixes are lacking clarity, depth, and punch, then look no further and learn the art of mixing & mastering in small classes.
Today there’s so much music on the internet, and so many people trying to get noticed, so it really pays to make sure your mix stands out. On our lessons, you will learn a host of classic mixing techniques, as well as newer, innovative tips and tricks used by the best in the industry. Our superior roster of instructors will share their knowledge as they cover everything you need to create master-quality mixes, saving yourself a fortune on hiring professional mix engineers and studio time in the future!
Total class time is 36 hours where you can ask a question and bounce off of your instructor and fellow learners exactly when you’re feeling inspired, or…confused! This is why some say that there is no substitute for music production courses in person, particularly mixing, where you all listen and critique mixes in our acoustically treated studio designed by our own Grammy-winning engineer.
Whatever DAW you use, whether on a Mac or PC, the principles and core skills of mixing and mastering remain the same, and all of our courses come with extensive notes that were put together by our expert course developers, covering everything on the syllabus.
We use Fabfilter third party software on the course itself, which will run in all popular DAWs. It is not important you own them for your course if you are using Logic, Pro Tools or Ableton, but we highly recommend them if you wish to make a purchase, and all GMP learners worldwide qualify for a 50% discount.
Many learners these days like to use their own laptops on our courses, so we have made space in our studios for people who wish to do that, and altered the price structure by adding a supplement of $75 for learners who wish to hire a new iMac loaded with all the software required. We have more spaces than we have iMacs, so please ensure you book your iMac if you need one, as the course fee is non-refundable if you turn up with no computer to work on. Controller keyboards, headphones, and audio interfaces are always provided for everyone.
If you miss a session and you’d like to catch it up, or you’d just like to come back and repeat some or all of your course, you can do, free of charge, normally on your first choice cycle as this course usually runs every cycle and most of the time we’re able to squeeze an extra one in. Our door is always open for our former learners.
EQ, Environment, Acoustics, and Separation
- Studio monitor speaker design
- Acoustics and acoustically treating your home studio
- All about mono, stereo and 5.1 in your software DAW
- The art of balancing and panning
- EQ workshop
- Hearing dynamics
- In-depth with all the parameters of dynamic controllers
- Types of compression circuitry, their digital emulations, what to use & why
- Parallel dynamic processing
- Gates and de-essing tips
- Dynamics controller tips to achieve clarity in your mix
Reverbs, Delays and Other FX
- Types of reverb and delay, where to use them
- In-depth with all the parameters
- Spatialization with convolution reverbs and delays
- Phaser, flanger, chorus, pitch shifters, harmonizers and creative FX
- Tips on how to make your records come to life with FX
Vocals, Automation and Getting Creative in the Mix Process
- Filtering and samples
- Vocoder, Ring Modulators, Envelopers, Auto panning, distortion and bit crushing
- Preparing vocals, vocal comping and tuning vocals
- Getting separation between lead and BVs
- Tips on automating levels (rides)
Mixing Electronic Music
- Side-chaining dynamic controllers and filters for ducking, FX and punch
- Getting creative with reverb and delay
- Making thin sounds bigger
- Mixing techniques which only apply to electronic music but are very useful to know for everyone
- Electronic music listening critique (bring in your tracks if you wish)
- Electronic music mix analytics – analyze the mix elements of your favorite tunes
- Using references to get your EQ and separation. A/B’ing
- EQ, brick wall limiting, levels and phase
- Using mastering plugins – dos and don’ts
- The best metering tools
- Live music listening critique (bring in your tracks if you wish)
- Live music mix analytics – analyze the mix elements of your favorites live and acoustic tracks
This course is designed for all DAW users and is suitable for all genres. If you have any questions, feel free to send us a message or call (424) 653 6481. To go ahead and book, you can use the ‘BOOK NOW’ buttons, and we’ll look forward to seeing you soon.
Schedules in red or black correspond to the info in the key just below. Prices start black, then go to red, then back to black before they are fully booked, so if you see a schedule you like, grab it now! There’s also 10% off for each additional course you book in the future.
101: $699 | 201: $699 | Both: $1199 if booked, paid, and taken together
101: $599 | 201: $599 | Both: $999 if booked, paid, and taken together
Monday Evenings | 7.30 – 10.30
101: January 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, February 6. 201: 13, 20, 27, March 6, 13, 20
Sundays | 11 – 6 | FULLY BOOKED
101: January 8, 15, 22. 201: 29, February 5, 12
Fridays | 11 – 6
101: February 17, 24, March 3. 201: 10, 17, 24
Tuesday Evenings | 7.30 – 10.30
101: March 28, April 4, 11, 18, 25, May 2. 201: 9, 16, 23, 30, June 6, 13
Spring School | 11 – 6
101: April 10, 11, 12. 201: 13, 14, 15
Saturdays | 11 – 6
101: May 13, 20, 27. 201: June 3, 10, 17
Wednesday Evenings | 7.30 – 10.30
101: June 21, 28, July 12, 19, 26, August 2. 201: August 9, 16, 23, 30, September 6, 13
Sundays | 11 – 6
101: August 20, 27, September 3. 201: September 10, 17, 24
Summer School | 11 – 6
101: August 21, 22, 23. 201: 24, 25, 26
Summer School #2
101: September 11, 12, 13. 201: 14, 15, 16
Thursday Evenings | 7.30 – 10.30
101: September 21, 28, October 5, 12, 19, 26. 201: November 9, 16, 30, December 7, 14, 21
Monday Evenings | 7.30 – 10.30 | FULLY BOOKED
101: September 18, 25, October 2, 9, 16, 23. 201: October 30, November 6, 13, 27, December 4, 11
Fridays | 11 – 6
101: November 10, 17, December 1. 201: December 8, 15, 22
Holiday Special | 11 – 6
101: December 26, 27, 28. 201: 29, 30, 31
2018: Same schedule
To be in the loop when we release more dates, sign up to our newsletter towards the top right of this page. We don’t send many, you can easily unsubscribe, and we never share our data with anyone, ever.